Dear Puggle Parent,
We are excited to offer Puggles to our Awana families. This club is for children who are 2 years old by the end of September of the current club year, through clubbers who are too young (or not ready) for Cubbies.
Awana Clubs exist to teach children of all ages to KNOW, LOVE, and SERVE our Lord Jesus Christ. Because children are never too young to learn about Jesus, we are excited to help parents help your Puggles to KNOW about Jesus and to LOVE Him.
What is a Puggle? In the animal world, the word “Puggle” is sometimes used to identify a baby platypus or echidna. Puggle is also the name used to describe the mixed-breed dog of a pug and a beagle. In Awana, Puggle is the name of a loveable baby platypus. A Puggle is also a two- or three-year-old child who participates in the Puggles Club. Puggle has two friends at Awana: a koala bear named Sydney and a kangaroo named Alice.
The Puggles Uniform. All of the Puggles leaders will be easily identifiable. They wear a powder blue Puggles polo shirt.
Our Puggles clubbers are encouraged to purchase and wear each week a powder blue Puggles T-shirt. This can be purchased at the Awana Office. They come in sizes 2T to 6T. Consider purchasing a roomy size to allow for Puggles’ growth and to wear it over a long sleeve shirt in the cooler weather.
The Puggles curriculum focuses on four basic precepts:
Unit 1 – God Made Everything
God made the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1
Unit 2 – God Saw That It Was Good
God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:10
Unit 3 – God Is Love
God Is love. 1 John 4:8
Unit 4 – Give Thanks
Give thanks to the Lord. Psalm 105:1
During the night, we use teaching cards, books, songs, finger play, puppets, activities, crafts, and games to teach these precepts. We incorporate simple Bible verses with these four precepts. The Puggles will have an opportunity to learn these verses though out the unit lessons.
While verse memorization is not required as part of the Puggles year, many of them are capable of memorizing these four verses. During each club night we will be repeating the unit verse over and over and incorporating it into each week’s lesson and activities. We want learning God’s Word to be fun, easy, and exciting for the Puggles.
Do Puggles have a handbook? No. Puggles does not have a handbook like the other Awana clubs.
Each week your Puggle will receive a Take Home Page. This contains ideas you can use to talk about the lesson each week.
What happens at Puggles? The club night is geared toward the mind of the toddler. We follow a nightly routine but incorporate time for Puggles to play.
During the night, we include the following activities:
Coming In Time
This is our drop off time and a time for Puggles to adjust to our classroom during a period of Free Play.
This is the time we gather as a group and welcome each Puggle to our class and pray.
We have a short Bible lesson that focuses on a truth related to one of our four club precepts. This includes a time of worship and singing.
This is an active large-muscle time when Puggles learn to play together and follow directions.
We provide a small snack that ties into the theme of the night (when possible) and a drink of water. Parents may choose to provide a sippy cup and snack alternative. Please let the Puggles leaders know of any allergy concerns.
This is a time around the table when Puggles may color a picture or complete a simple project that reinforces the theme of the night.
Quiet Activity / Free Play
We conclude the night with a quiet activity like reading books or doing puzzles and allow the Puggles to choose a quiet toy so that they may unwind from the night’s events.
DROP OFF / PICK UP / SECURITY CARDS: Puggles will be picked up in their Drop Off rooms. We will be using the same security card/check in system as Sunday School. Upon arrival to your Drop-Off room, you will receive a coded pick up card. It will be color coded by room. The number in the top right corner will include the room number and card number. You must bring back this card in order to pick up your child. If you intend to have someone other than the Drop-Off parent pick up the child, please ensure this person has the security card at pick up time. Please note the number on the card, as this will be displayed on the sanctuary screen if we need to call a parent back to club. Note, this number will change from week to week. You will not be assigned a specific number. If there is a need to contact a parent during club, and you are not in the sanctuary, we will use the phone numbers provided on the registration form. If you will not be at church, please provide a cell phone number for emergency contact reasons.
How Can Parents Help?
- Stop by the rest room before dropping off your Puggle.
- Bring your Puggle in uniform.
- Bring your Puggle to club on time (before 7:00 pm).
- When dropping off your Puggle, a short good-bye is helpful for those who have separation issues. Please know that you will be paged/called if your Puggle is having a hard time in class.
- Be sure to check-in your Puggle and take a security/pick-up card. Look at the number on the card, as this will be your pager number for the night. Cards are needed to pick-up your Puggle at the end of the night. (8:30 pm)
- Provide a diaper for Puggles who will need to be changed.
- Provide a change of clothes for Puggles who are toilet training.
- Diapers verses Potty. If your Puggle needs a diaper change or clothes changed, please know that the parent will be contacted for this. Be sure that we have your cell phone number on file.
- Provide a sippy cup if your Puggle prefers.
- Please label all items such as cups and diaper bags.
- Please don’t bring sick Puggles to club.
Other things you might like to know.
- Drop off is from 6:50 – 7:00 pm.
- Puggles starts promptly at 7:00 pm.
- Puggles pick up is at 8:30 pm.
- Our club year is from early September through mid-May.
- Weather or club cancellations are posted on the church web site. Parents who provide email addresses at registration will be informed via email as well.
- The AWANA Ministry Director or Puggles Director may communicate periodic information via email. You may wish to provide your email with your registration.
- Club calendars are available at the Awana Office. This will include all of our scheduled meetings and our vacation weeks.
- Clubbers may join Awana at any time during the club year.
- Awana is open to anyone including those who do not attend Calvary Chapel or any church at all.
- Pastor Chris teaches each Wednesday night during Awana. You are welcome to stay.
- Church web site: www.cc-chestersprings.com
- Awana web site: www.awana.org
Thank you for the privilege of allowing us to serve your family through the ministry of Awana.