The Gospel Wheel
The Gospel Wheel is an AWANA tool used to present the basics of the gospel.
SECTION 1 ~~ God
John 3:16~~For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Rev 4:8b~~Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!
SECTION 2 ~~ Man
Rom 3:23~~For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
Rom 6:23~~For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord
SECTIONS 3 ~~ Cross
Rom 5:8~~But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
SECTION 4 ~~ Trust
Acts 16:31~~So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
SECTIONS 5 – The Center
1 Cor 15:3-4~~For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.
Tips for Verse Memorization
- Pray with your child for God’s help to memorize.
- Encourage your children and memorize the verses along with them!
- Use repetition as much as possible by repeating the verse with your child over and over again.
- Write individual words or phrases on 3x5 index cards. Shuffle the cards and ask your child to arrange them in order.
- Read the verse out loud with your child several times until he/she can pronounce all the words correctly.
- Help your child understand the meaning of the verse by restating it in your own words. It’s much easier to memorize when you understand the meaning behind the verse.
- Involve the senses: draw pictures, create hand motions, clap it out, get up and move.
- Underline the main words of the verse for your child. Help him/her identify the main subject, verb, and objects in each sentence of the verse.
- Break the verse into meaningful parts by putting parentheses around phrases. For example, Titus 3:5: (Not by works of righteousness) (which we have done) (but according to His mercy) (He saved us) (by the washing of regeneration) (and renewing of the Holy Ghost).
- Use the first letter of each word in the verses as a memory aid. For example, write out on a piece of paper Romans 5:1 in this way: T B J B F, W H P W G T O L J C. Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Let your child try to recall the words of the verse just by looking at the first letter of each word of the verse.
- Write out the verse on a chalkboard or dry erase board. Erase a word at a time to help your child learn his memory verse. Each time he correctly says the verse, erase another word until he knows the entire verse.
- Write out verses on 3x5 index cards for your child to carry with him/her throughout the week. Encourage your child to pull the cards out and review while waiting for the bus, in the car, or other “down times” during the week. Suggest that they say the memory verses right before bedtime and first thing in the morning.
- Set the verse to music using a familiar tune. Awana provides the verses set to music. These are available in I-Tunes.